Tuesday, August 19, 2008

Our little Trooper!

Well, I'm going to make this a quick post as an update on how Alex is doing.  Alex had very minor surgery done at the doctor's office this morning to remove a small "lesion" from the inside of his lower lip.  The little spot formed over a month ago, most likely the result of a cut on the inside of his mouth that didn't heal properly.  Unfortunately, the doctor recommended that he have it removed and removal required use of general anesthesia.  Alex was extremely sluggish and sore this morning and got sick from the anesthesia, but he is feeling MUCH better now.  He seems to be much more alert and has started making jokes with his sister.  Emily has been quite nurturing as well.  Having never seen Alex in that sort of "state" before, she became concerned and was mimicking some of the behaviors I exhibited, rubbing her hand over his hairline, etc.  Alex has had lots of hugs and words of encouragement this morning.  It's difficult as a parent to see your child in discomfort and know that there's little that you can do to comfort them.  We've been fortunate that we've only had to go through this sort of thing a handful of times in the last 6 years!  I think I can count on only 1 hand the number of times I've even been up at night with either of the kids due to illness.  It makes me really thankful, and my heart goes out to all of the mothers/fathers that have children who are chronically ill.

2 comments:

Debi said...

Glad that he started feeling better! Yes it is so heart wrenching to see our child/children going through something that we "cannot fix"!

Tonya said...

I am so glad to hear that he is feeling better!! I dread those moments to come. I too am very grateful for two healthy children (thus far)!!