Thursday, September 4, 2008

An eventful week.

This week has been a relatively full week, especially for Alex!  We began on Monday with a party to celebrate Alex's 6th birthday with our close family.  Tuesday was his actual birthday and Alex had a wonderful and fun day, which was spent mostly with his Uncle Mike.  Mike took Alex rock climbing in the afternoon, which he enjoyed immensely.  Alex seemed to  be a monkey on the wall and I think he did much better than I did at attempting the bouldering area, in particular.  He made three attempts at the Large wall and made it to the top on the last attempt without getting tired or scared.  He loves his Uncle Mike so much and was upset when we dropped him off despite my reassurances that we would see him again before he leaves the state.

Yesterday I put my newly 6 year-old on the bus for the first time this year and, despite my own excitement for the potential of a relatively "quiet" day at home, I actually began to tear up a little.  Somehow, it seems different this year.  I just can't believe that I am a parent of a FIRST GRADER!  Maybe it was the lack of his nap mat, or the teddy bear missing from his back pack that made the difference.  Or perhaps the lack of fear and trepidation over what this new day/new year would bring for him.  Either way, to me, it's like he all of a sudden just grew up... from a toddler/little boy, to an independent "big boy".  And it really hit me when he arrived home in the afternoon, very much in good spirits after his first day, and pulled out his folder which contained a teacher's note.  The note made mention of daily homework and a weekly spelling list.  A SPELLING LIST?!?!  Wow.... he's officially beyond just learning his ABC's!  I realized then that "that day" has come where I would be sitting at the breakfast table listening to him recite spelling words and encouraging him as he attempts to sound out some of the more difficult words.  Oh.... so now the journey through first grade has begun for Alex and despite my slightly melancholy mood accompanying my growing realizations, I'm VERY excited to witness the growth and learning that Alex will experience this year!

1 comment:

Debi said...

Yes it is a little teary eyed to see our "babies" growing up and no longer learning their ABC's! Glad he is enjoying school!!!